Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Re-Follow

I'm supposed to be studying tweets here. And while I've been much more liberal about who I follow-back, I'm still being picky. I just can't help it. 

But one tactic I've picked up on: The re-Follow. There must be some app out there that helps manage this - I don't know how else one would have time for such a lame practice. 

When someone new follows you, Twitter sends you an email notifying you that this person is now following you. I have received said email for the same user multiple times. 

I'm not dumb. I have less than 200 followers. So when I get an email notification that someone is following me, if its not someone new, I will recognize the name. Particularly if you try following me in an effort to get a follow-back more than once or twice. 

Every time someone follows me, I check out their profile page and most recent tweets - partially as a screening process to ensure they are legit and to determine whether I want to follow back and partially because I'm just curious. 

Main Offender: Christine Hill, aka chillami.  (although she's not the only one). 
Why I don't want to follower her:
1. Christine's avatar is a picture of her dog.  
2. She lives in Salt Lake City, Utah. (No offense.)
3. Her profile blurb: I love the Internet. It was love at first site for me. :-) I am LDS, work in marketing and I love Social Media!

Did you notice that killer pun she slipped in there???

Anyhow, most of my tweets are typically about what I'm up to in my personal life, what I'm feeling, or a RT of something interesting/funny that someone else said. I haven't put a lot of energy into being someone that everyone wants to follow. So I know that this follow-unfollow-refollow business is purely an attempt to get a follow-back. Which is what frustrates me. I don't like the idea that you are expected to follow someone back out of good Twitter etiquette. What is this? The playground in 2nd grade. Do I really have to pretend to like everyone? We're all adults here, right?

So after about the third or fourth notification email from Twitter informing me that Christine Hill is now following me, I posted this tweet:
@chillami hi there - you have followed me multiple times now. Are you trying to get me to follow you?

No response. Big surprise. 

You know what? I'm gonna follow her. For the sake of Tweetology.

Done. Stay tuned. I'll let you know if she falls into the obnoxious-tweeter category and how long until I unfollow her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment